EXCERPTS of USD #384 Regular Board of Education Meeting
A Regular Board of Education meeting for USD #384 Blue Valley was held on February 11, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the Board Room. Members present were Mitch Innes, Stephen Corkill, Reo Shultz, and Jason Hartman. Administration present was Brady Burton, Superintendent, Marion Mazouch, Middle School/High School Principal, and Melody Pfaff, Board Clerk.
CALL TO ORDER: President, Mitch Innes called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
APPROVE THE AGENDA: The Board approved the Agenda as presented with the following addition: Add 13.A.2. Approve General Contractor Bill.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Board and guests recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
WELCOME GUESTS: No guests in attendance.
OPEN FORUM: No one addressed the Board during Open Forum.
POSITIVE BOARD COMMENTS:
1. Reo Shultz commented that the new district app is nice and a good way for communication.
2. Mitch Innes mentioned that the FFA Alumni supper and auction was very well attended and was a success.
3. Jason Hartman thanked those helped set up the new agriculture education shop.
4. Stephen Corkill thanked Kerri Butler for recommending and supporting the Blue Valley students to attend the weekend-long 2019 K-State Concert Band Clinic.
5. Stephen Corkill congratulated Anthony Meals for receiving the NAAE Outstanding Young Member Educators in years 4-6.
RECOGNITION OF STUDENTS/STAFF: No one was in attendance to be recognized.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS: These were noted.
SUPERINTENDENT REPORT: Superintendent Brady Burton stated that school will be in session on Monday February 18 till 1:15 p.m. This will help offset the weather-related missed school days. A reminder was given to the board that the March monthly board meeting will be held on Monday, March 18 instead of March 11.
BOARD REPORT: The Open House Committee met and progress is going very well in organizing the April 28 District Open House.
CONSENT AGENDA: The Board approved the Consent Agenda as follows:
A. Approved Minutes of: January 14, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
B. Approved Activity / Revenue / Expenditure Reports
C. Resignations - None
D. Hirings - None
E. Approved Transfer – Haley Dreith will begin teaching Kindergarten during the 2019-2020 school year and the district will hire a 3rd grade teacher.
Budget Review: Brady Burton and Melody Pfaff reviewed the Budget Summary of Funds with the Board.
Bus Driver Policy: The Board approved the following Bus Driver Policy and to place it in the building handbooks and classified handbook beginning the 2019-2020 school year:
1. USD #384 will allow multiple drop-off locations for students who qualify to ride our school buses.
2. Parents requesting multi drop-off locations must provide the drop-off location addresses and days of week to be dropped off at time of enrollment. Parents must also provide all requested names and phone number information.
3. USD #384 bus drivers will wait at any Pre-K through 4th grade students drop off location until an adult has been confirmed at home unless the parent has given permission during enrollment to drop-off the student.
4. If the driver has not been given permission to drop-off the Pre-K through 4th grade student or no one is at home, the student will remain on the bus with the driver until a parent contact has been made.
5. Each route bus will have a colored coded magnetic ram displayed by the main student loading door that signifies the correct bus each student should be riding.
Bond Update: Flooring will be installed in the agriculture education shop classroom. Bathroom floors in the weight room need to be refinished. Weight room equipment will be moved into new facilities on Thursday, February 21.
Approve Warrants/Transfers: The Board approved the warrants/transfers as presented.
Approve General Contractor Bill: The Board approved Application No. 9 in the amount of $104,163.40 to AHRS.
Personnel: The Board went into executive session at 7:50 p.m. with Brady Burton to discuss personnel for 30 minutes. The purpose of the executive session is to protect the privacy interests of an identifiable individual.
Meeting reconvened at 8:20 p.m. It was noted that no action was taken during the executive session.
The Board went into executive session at 8:21 p.m. with Brady Burton to discuss personnel for 10 minutes. The purpose of the executive session is to protect the privacy interests of an identifiable individual.
Meeting reconvened at 8:31 p.m. It was noted that no action was taken during the executive session.
Principal Contract: The Board approved to add another year to Marion Mazouch’s principal contract keeping him on a two-year contract.
Future Agenda Items: Nothing to carryover from this meeting.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 8:34 p.m.