EXCERPTS of USD #384 Regular Board of Education Meeting
A Regular Board of Education meeting for USD #384 Blue Valley was held on July 8, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. in the Board Room. Members present were Mitch Innes, Stephen Corkill, James Peter, Reo Shultz, Tim Innes, Jason Hartman, and Ginger Blaske. Administration present was Brady Burton, Superintendent and Melody Pfaff, Board Clerk.
CALL TO ORDER: President, Mitch Innes called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m.
APPROVE THE AGENDA: The Board approved the Agenda as presented with the following addition: Add 13.D. Approve Fees.
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Board and guests recited the Pledge of Allegiance.
WELCOME GUESTS: President, Mitch Innes welcomed our guests.
OPEN FORUM: No one addressed the Board during Open Forum.
POSITIVE BOARD COMMENTS:
1. Mitch Innes mentioned that the district grounds look good.
2. Reo Shultz commented that the renovations to the McCormick Elementary School ball field are coming along and will be a nice feature for the school and community.
3. Stephen Corkill congratulated the FCCLA students that attended National Convention. Very successful time for all.
4. Tim Innes mentioned that the 7-8-year-old boys machine pitch team had a great season. All of the teams have been doing very well over the summer.
RECOGNTION OF STUDENTS/STAFF: Brittany Pfaff was in attendance to discuss that online enrollment has been set up. All parents should be able to enroll their student(s) online using the secure upload available on the district website. Enrollment dates will be held on July 29 and 30 for those that wish to enroll in person. The Board thanked Brittany for all her hard work getting the online enrollment set up. Very anxious to see how the process work. Brittany informed the Board that the Chrome Books are set up and ready to go for grades 8-12.
PRINCIPAL REPORTS: No building reports this month.
SUPERINTENDENT REPORT: Superintendent Brady Burton reported that he and the district office staff attended the budget workshop earlier today. Special meetings will need to be held on August 1 at 7:30 a.m. and August 19 at 7:30 a.m. to publish and approve the 2019-2020 budget.
CONSENT AGENDA: The Board approved the Consent Agenda as follows:
A. Approved Minutes of June 10, 2019 Regular Board Meeting
B. Approved Activity / Revenue / Expenditure Reports
C. Approved Resignations/Retirements- Brady Burton, Superintendent will
retire on June 30, 2020
D. Approved Hirings - Beth Luhman, Head Volleyball Coach for the 2019-2020
school year; Ashley Buessing, Assistant Track Coach for 2019-2020 school year.
E. Adopted Official Depository – Union State Bank, Olsburg, KS
F. Adopted 1,116 Hour Student Calendar
G. Designated Insurance Carriers:
1. Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Kansas – Health Insurance
2. Copeland Insurance (EMC) – Property/Vehicles
3. Bay Bridge – 403b
4. BCS Insurance – Student Accident Insurance
5. American Fidelity – Section 125
6. KASB Workman’s Compensation
H. Designated Truant Officers - K.S.A. 72-1113
1. McCormick Elementary School – Brady Burton
2. Blue Valley Middle School – Marion Mazouch
3. Blue Valley High School – Marion Mazouch
I. Appointed Hearing Officer for Free and Reduced Meals - Brady Burton
J. Appointed Food Service Representative - Jenny Peter
K. Designated Official District Newspaper - Riley Countian
L. Approved the Following:
1. Section 504 Director - Brady Burton
2. ADA Director - Brady Burton
3. Title I, IIA, III, IV, VII, and IX Director
4. KPERS Representative - Melody Pfaff
5. Attorney - Donna Whiteman, KASB
6. KASB Governmental Relations Representative - Brady Burton
7. Auditor - Derek Bruna, Washington County Tax and Accounting
8. PL874-382 Impact Aid Representative - Jenny Peter
9. Freedom of Information Officer - Melody Pfaff
10. Official District Spokesperson - Brady Burton
11. KIDS System Administrator - Jenny Peter
12. Powerschool Administrator - Jenny Peter
M. Adopted the Annual Waiver of Requirement for General Acceptable Accounting Practices
N. Rescinded All Previous Board of Education Policies and approved the 2019-2020 Board of Education Policies
O. Approved Old Records in Storage More Than Five Years Old May be Destroyed According to K.S.A. 72-5369
P. Adopted Guidelines for Activity Fund and Gate Receipts as Outlined in K.S.A. 72-53G.
Q. Designated the Following Board Officials:
1. Board Clerk - Melody Pfaff
2. Deputy Board Clerk - Jenny Hoeltzel
3. Board Treasurer - Jenny Peter
4. Deputy Board Treasurer - Becky Brenner
R. Established Superintendent Spending Limit - $10,000
Budget Review: The 2019-2020 Budget has not been set.
Food Service: The Board held an executive session with Brady Burton and Melody Pfaff for 15 minutes to discuss personnel. The purpose of the executive session is to protect the privacy interests of an identifiable individual.
Meeting reconvened and it was noted that no action was taken during the executive session.
The Board approved to allow Denise Webster to choose to be an OPAA! employee or a Blue Valley Employee for the 2019-2020 school year with the understanding that the food service director is Denise’s boss and that her duties will be determined by OPAA!.
Ratify Negotiated Agreement: The Board approved to ratify the 2019-2020 Negotiated Agreement.
Approve Warrants/Transfers: The Board approved the Warrants/Transfers as presented. Motion carried 7-0.
End of Year Budged Balances/Transfers: The Board approved to transfer the 2018-2019 carryover in the amount of $116,053 to Contingency Fund.
Superintendent’s Transition Plan: Superintendent Brady Burton presented information to the board on options of doing a Superintendent search for the 2020-2021 school year. KASB can be hired to do the search for the district. This was a discussion item only. The board will hold a work session prior to the August 12, 2019 board meeting.
Updated Fees: The Board approved the mileage increase from .545/mile to .58/mile to stay current with the state rate.
The Board approved the following food service increases for 2019-2020:
•K-12 Breakfast will increase from $1.70 to $1.80
•K-4 Lunches will increase from $2.81 to $2.91
•5-12 Lunches will increase from $2.96 to $3.06
Future Agenda Items: There are no carryover items from this meeting.
Adjournment: Meeting adjourned at 8:28 p.m.